Have you ever faced leaky pipes or sewages? Aren’t they the most annoying ones to deal? The constant sound of dripping water can get on your nerves. If you are unlucky, you might land into even more irritating stuff- overflowing water and the damage that comes up with it.
Yes, overflowing water has great potential to damage your surfaces, entire floor, furniture, etc. Here is when you should consider seeking the help of technicians. They have the right set of solutions, and the best part they can restore your documents, help recover the monetary damage, and the list of benefits is manifold. Let us discover how they are adept in water damage restoration.
Reasons for water damage:
Before getting into how to, let us first understand the reasons why this kind of havoc happens.
So the causes of overflowing water capable enough to damage your stuff are:
- Leaking pipes: Pipes are the first reason to look out for when you see excess water flowing. Initially, dripping water might look trivial, but it can turn into a massive task shortly.
- Leaking appliances: Appliances like water filters and water heaters wherein the pipes are connected can cause serious trouble if unchecked.
- Improper sewage lines: They might be blocked, or due to some wrong functionality, they might leak water. In either case, the workload is bound to increase.
- Natural disasters: Floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, thunderstorms are those unpredictable disasters that can turn everything upside down. They cause significant damage to your property.
- Firefighting efforts: Well, this is a rare possibility that while dousing flames at your place, an excessive amount of water flows.
How to deal with water damage?
Dealing with water damage has to be quick and needs technical help. It would be best if you don’t wait to figure it out by yourself. If the water is left to stand by, it will invite more troubles than ever. It can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes and other harmful insects. If you are into a suitable climate for molds or fungi, then stagnant water can damage your existing furniture, documents, etc. So, it’s better to act as swiftly as possible.
Once you get to see overflowing water, try to call from a team of experts available in your locality. You need to trust them for a variety of reasons-
- Their years of experience in dealing with a variety of such situations helps you
- They have multiple certifications and adhere to safety norms given by the government
- They have the required contacts with the insurance companies in case you face any monetary loss
- Most importantly, they deal with recovering your objects, documents, and the entire setup to pre-damaged condition
- This step ensures minimal loss of time, energy, and effort as they have the training to use the equipment.
It’s the next stage wherein experts get in with their equipment, technical skills, and expertise to clean the space and make it as before, you should cooperate with them and do the same as asked or advised. The entire process of water damage restoration can be divided into a few steps as follows:
- Initially, when the team of experts arrives, they get on to figure out the cause. This step helps them to decide the possible damages that can occur or have occurred. It is essential to be safe while cleaning and drying up space. For example, one can find an open wire which is touching the source of water overflow. This open wire can spread electricity in the water and be dangerous for the workers
- The next step is to extract or remove the overflowing water from the floor or surfaces. This step would need the team of experts’ time and energy as even though they use the best of machines, the source of water might continue to leak. These are known as extractors. The type of device depends upon the source of water. There are different types of extractors available, such as vacuum-based pumps or submersible pumps. So, slowly and gradually, they carry out this task of removing large amounts of water.
- Considering that you acted promptly and got the team as quickly as possible, merely removal of water is not sufficient. Third, even when one removes the entire water, the moisture might remain in corners and parts of the surfaces, upholstery, etc. So they dry and dehumidify the whole area with the help of a relevant machine. This is a crucial step to ensure a pleasant post-damage condition.
- Once the area is dried up, cleaning and restoration follows. While one carries out the above steps, it is possible that the surfaces of the furniture, floor, ceilings, etc., swell up or get some dirt, etc. The stagnant water can make a few things dirty. Other disinfecting materials are crucial to restore everything into its pre-damaged condition, clean with scrubbers.
- Lastly, just to get things exactly right, if there are any documents or materials that can be restored, the team tries to recover them. This process is significant as if done right, it can get your essential elements in a suitable form without any loss.
There are specific measures to avoid these situations:
- Keep your pipes, appliances, electricity boards, sewage tanks, basements working in full functionality.
- Try to avoid ignoring any kind of leaks at any places mentioned above.
- When faced with any such situation, don’t try to figure it out by yourself. Call the team of experts right away.
- Do not step into the overflowing water. The water might carry electrical current due to some leaky wire in some corner of your house.
So that’s everything you would want to know about water damages, the complete process of cleaning and restoration, the do’s and don’ts, etc. In such situations, being calm and trying to make quick decisions becomes quite essential. This can help you avoid further troubles.
Regular checks, avoiding or ignorance of any spills, and malfunctioning your appliances are another thing to consider. Hopefully, all of this acts as a reminder for the next time!